Thursday, December 13, 2007

CHARITY


Yesterday morning I went visiting teaching, and as usual- I hadn't read the visiting teaching message, and it was my turn to teach. So, I quickly found my Ensign and turned to the visiting teaching message and saw that it was on Charity, and immediately thought that it was the perfect subject for this time of year. I was excited too- because I have this one quote that I found a few years ago by Marvin J. Ashton about charity- and I have always kept it in a special place, so if a time called for it- I could use it! I was talking with my companion and I told her how excited I was on this topic- because it seemed as though the last few messages haven't really moved me... but this one did:)

Anyhow- I thought I would share my quote with you- and then the other quotes I really liked in the message- just in case, maybe you haven't read it either:)

Whenever I think of charity I think of donating money, or time or giving to someone that I normally wouldn't give to. But- charity is so not about just that-- in fact- it is a LOT more then that.

“Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself. And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again. . . . Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don't judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone's differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn't handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another's weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other.” —Marvin J. Ashton

When I first read that a few years ago- I HELD onto it, so that I could remember what charity really is. The other quotes that made my heart sing were,

".......Those who are filled with the love of Christ do not seek to force others to do better; they inspire others to do better, indeed inspire them to the pursuit of God. We need to extend the hand of friendship. We need to be kinder, more gentle, more forgiving, and slower to anger” - Pres. Howard W. Hunter

“We can alter the face of the earth one family and one home at a time through charity, our small and simple acts of pure love. “Charity, the Savior’s pure love, is the ‘highest, noblest, strongest kind of love,’ which we ‘pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart’ to possess. Elder Dallin H. Oaks teaches us that charity ‘is not an act but a condition or state of being [one becomes].’ Our day-to-day offerings of charity are ‘written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; … in [the] fleshy tables of [our] heart[s].’ Little by little our charitable acts change our natures, define our characters, and ultimately make us women with the courage and commitment to say to the Lord, ‘Here am I; send me’” - Anne C. Pingree


I absolutely loved those quotes and the message moved me AGAIN to be a better person and recommit to doing that and trying harder!! I hope and pray to have charity- and it not just be an "act" but truly who I am. Anytime I'm helping someone else out or have the "pure love of Christ" I know that I'm really helping myself more then anyone else... and that it is with the strength of my Heavenly Father for me to be able to exercise charity 110% and grow closer to and becoming more like my Savior. As we give- we gain so much more and grow 10 fold, over whatever we gave, and I wonder sometimes, why I choose not to actively grow- why I CHOOSE to hold that grudge- if even for a few minutes or a day... or CHOOSE to be offended, or CHOOSE not to go help the man who smells like fish. I guess that is all apart of learning - and we have to fall in order to get up, and stand taller!

So, anyways, if you haven't read this months message, you have to! It is simply wonderful!!

Oh, and I chose the painting at the top of the page... because as i googled images for "charity"- it was the one that didn't have to do with money or giving to a charity (even though, those are all great things) - but it was of a child angel, feeding some ducks- and it seems as though charity comes to a child so easily- and they are perfect examples of charity- so I thought it was fitting:)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I, too, loved the message this month!

Katie said...

that would be so awesome if you guys visited this summer!!! a reunion, yeah! :)