Friday, December 7, 2007

Chicken Potpies and I forgot about onions

This afternoon I was making Chicken Potpies and Ethan wanted to help me, since Erin and Dante were over at a friends. So, he climbed up on the counter and as I started to cut the onion- he would slowly start putting the cut up onion in the measuring cup til' it was full and then he would take it over to the pot and dump it in. I wear contacts, so onions have not bothered me for a really, really long time. Sometimes- I actually think it is me that is immune to onions, but if I'm wearing my glasses- the tears return. So, I started laughing, when I turned from washing my hands in the sink... to find this.......






I had totally forgotten that onions hurt your eyes. Poor guy- he was like Rag!RAG!RAG!!!! ?It was priceless!

Here is how our potpies turned out:) YUMMMMMY! I can't wait til' they are done cooking and we can enjoy:)


Chicken potpies has been somewhat of a staple favorite for my kids and Chet (until I made them too much) :) The kids could eat them everyday- but Chet has asked me to branch out and try a bunch of new recipes. So- as I branch out-- I thought to help motivate me- I can post the recipes and pictures of anything that turns out great here! And I have to do at least one recipe a week for anyone who may just want to try something new too. So, here is my Chicken Potpie recipe-- WE LOVE IT!

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all purpose flower
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half and half
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup frozen english peas, thawed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
pie crusts for 2 double crust 8" pies


Saute first 3 ingredients in butter in a large pot over medium heat until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and half & half; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chicken, peas, salt and pepper. Place 1 crust in bottom of each pie plate. Fill evenly with pie filling. Place pastry over filling; fold edges under and flute. Cut slits in top to allow steam to escape.


Bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 45 min. ( Mine usually cook closer to 30 min. - but sometimes it may take longer)

Enjoy!!:) It makes 2 pie plates - which is perfect for our family with some leftovers for later! I love potpie leftovers!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That looks delicious! One of my friends has a recipe website and I've started making some of her recipes and they're great. It helps me try something new. It's therecipehut.blogspot.com.

Jill Hunt said...

It looks and sounds so yummy. I am going to have to try it. But my kids are the pickiest eaters ever!! Oh by the way I need your address to send you a Christmas card.

Monica said...

I am so glad you gave this recipe!! Did you get this from your mom? I remember one time I was taking care of you girls while your parents went out of town and she had cooked a cpp for us to have while they were gone, and it was the best thing I had ever tasted!! I've always wanted to find a recipe like that - looks like now I have! :)

Bertie said...

Yes- this is my moms recipe! Delish-delish:)

The Rowes said...

I "stole" the recipe and look forward to making it. Derek loves pot pie and I'm sure he will love this one. I always remember your mom being such a great cook. Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing!